After a felony arrest, it is important to contact an experienced criminal defense attorney as early in the case as possible. You have the right to remain silent and the right to counsel at all stages of the case.
The attorneys at Law Offices of Richard C. McConathy in Fort Worth, TX, represent clients at all stages of the case including the initial investigation, the initial appearance setting, the consultation setting the evidence exchange setting, the motion setting, the status conference and at trial.
The course that cases go through this process depends in part of the way the case is classified within the Differentiated Felony Case Management System (DFCM) used by the courts in Tarrant County.
For cases that are eligible for the DIRECT program or the District Attorney’s Deferred Prosecution Program, the criminal defense attorney is encouraged to submit the application for that resolution at the earliest possible time.
Attorney for Felonies in Tarrant County, TX
If you are charged with a felony offense in Fort Worth or Tarrant County, then contact an experienced criminal defense attorney at Law Offices of Richard C. McConathy.
Call us for a free consultation to discuss your pending felony or misdemeanor case. During the initial consultation we can talk with you about the criminal investigation or pending charges, the best defenses to fight the accusation, and ways to avoid the typical penalties used in similar cases in Fort Worth or Tarrant County, TX.
Call (817) 422-5350 today for a free consultation.
The Different Between Felony and Misdemeanor Crimes in Fort Worth
The Texas Penal Code classifies crimes into two main categories:
- felonies; and
Felonies are serious offenses that are classified as state jail felonies, third-degree felonies, second-degree felonies, first-degree felonies, and capital murder.
The maximum and minimum penalties are determined, in part, by how the crime is classified. A felony is considered to be more serious than a misdemeanor. Under Texas law, a misdemeanor is considered to be a less serious crime than a felony.
Under Texas law, misdemeanor offenses are classified as:
- Class C misdemeanors;
- Class B misdemeanors; and
- Class A misdemeanors.
Differentiated Felony Case Management System (DFCM)
Pursuant to an administrative order dated September 16, 2013, the courts in Tarrant County have implemented a Differentiated Felony Case Management System (DFCM) for different types of felony cases under an expedited track, a basic track, or a complex case track.
The Expedited Track
Some types of state jail felony and third-degree felony offenses are including in the expedited track including:
- violation of probation and revocations;
- unauthorized absence from CCF or CC;
- bail jumping;
- escape from felony offense;
- unauthorized use of a vehicle;
- tampering with evidence;
- possession of prohibited weapon;
- UCW on licensed premises;
- fraudulent use or possession of identifying information;
- prostitution-4th; theft;
- aggravated perjury;
- burglary of a building;
- credit or debit card abuse;
- criminal nonsupport;
- evading arrest with vehicle;
- false alarm or report; and
The Basic Track
All felony offenses not included in the Expedited or Complex Case Tracks, including but not limited to the following, are to be included in the Basic Case Track:
- Most Felony Drug Crimes
- Delivery of controlled substances, PGl < 1 gr.;
- Possession of controlled substances, PGI <1 gr.;
- Delivery of controlled substances, PGIA, <20 units;
- Possession of controlled substances, PGIA, <20 units;
- Felony Marijuana Crimes
- Delivery marihuana > 1%: oz.;
- Possession marihuana > 4 oz.;
- Felony Drunk Driving Related Crimes
- Intoxication manslaughter;
- Intoxication assault; and
- Weapon Crimes
- Possession ﬁrearm by felon;
- Possession weapon —prohibited place recording;
- Escape with deadly weapon;
- Violent Crimes
- Unlawful restraint causing bodily injury;
- Obstruction / retaliation;
- Aggravated assault;
- Aggravated kidnapping;
- Terrorist threat;
- Tampering with Witness;
- Stalking Injury to a child, elderly, disabled;
- Violation of protective order;
- Escape causing bodily injury;
- Deadly conduct;
- Aggravated robbery;
- Evading arrest with Serious Bodily Injury;
- Escape with serious bodily injury;
- Aggravated assault-serious bodily injury;
- Sexually Motivated Crimes
- Sexual assault;
- Improper relationship student/teacher;
- Indecency with child — contact;
- Enticing child;
- Aggravated sexual assault;
- Improper contact with victim;
- Indecency with a child-exposure;
- Property Crimes
- Burglary of habitation — theft;
- Burglary of habitation — assault;
- Burglary of habitation — other;
- Crimes Against Children and the Vulnerable
- Unlawful restraint of child;
- Interference with child custody;
- Injury to a child, elderly, disabled with serious bodily injury;
- Trafﬁcking of persons;
- Improper photography or visual;
- Cruelty to animals;
- Crimes of Dishonesty
- Engaging in organized crime;
- Homicide or Death Cases
- Attempted capital murder;
- Solicitation of capital murder;
- Criminal negligent homicide;
- Manslaughter; and
- Evading arrest with death.
The Complex Case Track
The Complex Case Track includes the following offenses:
- Murder; Capital Murder; and
- any case that in the opinion of the court involves complex legal or evidentiary issues.
Penalties in Felony Cases
The range of punishment that may be assessed against a defendant in a felony case can include:
- community supervision or probation;
- community service;
- work release;
- house arrest;
- electronic monitoring;
- substance abuse treatment;
- confinement in county jail, state jail, boot camp, or Texas State Prison; or
- the death penalty in capital cases.
Differentiated Felony Case Management System (DFCM) in Tarrant County, TX - Pursuant to an administrative order dated September 16, 2013, the courts in Tarrant County have implemented a DFCM system for different types of felony cases under an expedited track, a basic track, or a complex case track.
This article was last updated on Friday, April 7, 2017.
Principal Location: 1511 Dallas Pkwy #400 Dallas, TX 75248